Monday, September 11, 2017

Love One Another

The scipture I read this morning: Helaman 12  PLEASE READ SCRIPTURE FIRST- it helps with the lesson. 

     Today I found myself being around some different people at school. The kind of different where you don't want to be around them- for who knows why. One person in particular wants to be my friend. They are really nice to me- no doubt. I don't really know this person so today I decided to dedicate time to get to know them during lunch. So during lunch they brought me to their group of friends. They were nice people and were having lots of fun. But I felt uncomfortable- and so was my good friend that tagged along. But we politly left and laughed about it later.

     This experience helped me realize that we are always going to be surrounded by different people. People you do work well with and people you don't. But that is okay. We need to keep in mind that we are ALL God's children and he loves each and every one of us very dearly. We need to treat everyone with respect. Even if they bother you. This doesn't mean you need to hangout with them- but you do need to be nice to them. If that person needs a friend, be the friend. Be nice to them. If that person is mean to you, you don't have to be their friend but I still encourage you to be nice to them. They might be going through a hard time too and you just don't know it. I have had my fair share of realizing what others were going through and I was judging them and then feel guilty for being so judgemental.

     In LDS Church handbook, "For the Strength of Youth" it talks about friends and I think it phrases it quite nicly.

"Everyone needs good and true friends. They will be a great strength and blessing to you. They will influence how you think and act, and even help determine the person you will become. They will help you be a better person and will make it easier for you to live the gospel of Jesus Christ. Choose friends who share your values so you can strengthen and encourage each other in living high standards.


To have good friends, be a good friend. Show genuine interest in others; smile and let them know you care about them. Treat everyone with kindness and respect, and refrain from judging and criticizing those around you. Do not participate in any form of bullying. Make a special effort to be a friend to those who are shy or lonely, have special needs, or do not feel included.
As you seek to be a friend to others, do not compromise your standards. If your friends urge you to do things that are wrong, be the one to stand for the right, even if you stand alone. You may need to find other friends who will support you in keeping the commandments. Seek the guidance of the Holy Ghost as you make these choices."
     It also mentions St Matthew 25:40 which says "...Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me."
     So next time you feel the urge to yell at your brother, snap at your sister, whine at your parents, or even say something you will regret to someone at school- remember your WWJD. What Would Jesus Do? Because I promise you make sure you have the spirit close, being kind to others and bringing them unto Christ, if you remember Christ, I have with a surity that you will have more peace with yourself and with others in your life. That you will feel a burden off your shoulders. That you will feel love and charity for everyone and want to serve them. 
Sencerely, 
                         
                                             (Emma Jean)
P.S. Kind of funny how the scripture I read this morning helped me learn my lesson today!

No comments:

Post a Comment